Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Rock Box" Track of the Day: Stevie Wonder, "I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever)"

They forgot to add Most Valuable Player to Kathy Nelson's on-screen credit.

Song: "I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever)" by Stevie Wonder
Released: 1972
Why's it part of the "Rock Box" playlist?: It's featured in High Fidelity, which was where I first heard this overlooked Wonder tune.
Which moment in High Fidelity does it appear?: The closing credits, which are a special treat for fontophiles like myself. Mmm, Stencil...

About a Boy, another great Nick Hornby adaptation from the early '00s, attempted to do for Skechers what High Fidelity did for The Beta Band.

Mmm, Eurostile...

Euro my steez.

The characters' hatred of Wonder's '80s and '90s output was the subject of one of Jack Black's key scenes ("Rob, 'Top Five Musical Crimes Perpetrated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s.' Go."), so it's no surprise that Rob (John Cusack) opted for 1972's "I Believe" while making a mixtape for Laura (Iben Hjejle). "I Believe" is the closing track on Wonder's Talking Book album. In 2005's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, Stevie Chick wrote that "'I Believe' finds Stevie's heart broken, but his belief in love still intact"--much like Rob at the end of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment